Saturday, September 23, 2017

Rodgers will avoid Reds reunion

0

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers was pleased to see his side claim a 1-0 victory over Norwegian side Rosenberg this week.

The win sees the Scottish champions move into the final qualifying phase for next season’s Champions League.

But they will avoid facing Liverpool thanks to the seeding status of the two clubs.

“I was going into these games last year hoping we get through.” he said.

“It’s a different mentality now. That comes from the belief from how they’ve worked and how they play.

“It was a big performance. Everybody was talking about the pressure of the game, to play that way was sensational.

“I’m delighted the way the players kept their nerve.” he finished.

Celtic professed thanks to a well taken goal by James Forrest after drawing the home leg 0-0.

Rodgers will avoid a tie against Liverpool, but could face a return to Anfield if both progress from the next stage.

Mourinho says Neymar not expensive

0

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho does not think Paris Saint Germain paying an expensive price for Barcelona attacker Neymar.

The Portuguese boss feels that the quality of the Brazilian means that the French club are getting a fair deal.

“Expensive are the ones who get into a certain level without a certain quality. For £200m, I don’t think he is expensive.” he said.

“I think he’s expensive in the fact that now you are going to have more players at £100m, you are going have more players at £80m and more players at £60m. And I think that’s the problem.”

“Neymar is one of the best players in the world, commercially he is very strong and for sure PSG thought about it.

“So I think the problem is not Neymar, I think the problem is the consequences of Neymar.” he finished.

Chelsea close in on Bakayoko

0

Chelsea are moving in on the signing of Tiemoue Bakayoko from French champions Monaco.

Boss Antonio Conte has identified the France international as a key signing ahead of his side’s title defence and Champions League return.

Talks are reported to have progressed well and the deal looks likely to be completed at some point this week.

The twenty-two year old was a key ingredient in Monaco’s Ligue 1 title success and run to the Champions League semi-final stage last season.

 

It looks like several of the French club’s stars will be on their way out of the Stade Louis II this Summer.

Palace appoint de Boer

0

Crystal Palace have Dutchman Frank de Boer as their new boss after he put pen to paper on a three-year contract.

The former Ajax and Inter Milan manager replaces ex-England boss Sam Allardyce at Selhurst Park.

And the forty-seven year old spoke of his aims as he takes on his first job in the Premier League following several previous links.

“The aim is to be a solid Premier League team, not to struggle with relegation.” he said.

“That is our main target – if we do more that’s nice.

“I had a good feeling about the club and the prospect of managing a team in the Premier League was exciting,” added De Boer.

“This club can grow further and further. They spend a lot of money and there is the possibility to do something well with that money.

“I’ve not met the players yet. We will look at one or two signings, but I think it is necessary to see all the players here first.” he finished.

Sels joins Anderlecht on loan

0

Newcastle United have allowed goalkeeper Matz Sels to join Anderlecht on loan for the 2017/18 season.

The newly promoted Premier League club only signed the twenty-five year old from Gent in a deal worth £5m last year.

But he managed just nine appearances for Rafa Benitez’s side as they won the Championship title and gained an instant return to the top flight.

He did start the campaign as the Spaniard’s first-choice stopper, but was soon replaced by former Nottingham Forest man Karl Darlow.

The former Liverpool manager has plenty of options when it comes to his number one with Rob Elliot, Tim Krul and Freddie Woodman all part of his squad.

Benitez remains keen on being reunited with former Anfield favourite Pepe Reina, who is being linked with a move to St James’ Park from current club Napoli.

Fabinho would be tempted by United

0

Monaco midfielder Fabinho has admitted that joining Manchester United “would be very tempting”.

The twenty-three year old was an impressive part of the Monaco team which won Ligue 1 and reached the Champions League semi-finals last season.

He contributed eleven goals in fifty outings in all competitions and that form hasn’t gone unnoticed.

 

United have been regularly linked with a move for Brazilian and he is not oblivious to the speculation regarding his future.

“Manchester United is a great team and I would think about it.” he told Esporte Interativo.

“If Mourinho invites me it would be very tempting.

“But I would have to talk with my agent and Monaco to make the things right.” he finished.

Fabinho made the move to join the French club on loan from Portuguese side Rio Ave back in 2013.

Monaco made the deal permanent in 2015.

Huddersfield sign Depoitre

0

Huddersfield Town have signed Laurent Depoitre from FC Porto for a club-record fee.

The exact amount the Premier League newcomers have spent on the striker has not been disclosed.

Belgian international Depoitre joins on a two year deal with the option to add a third season.

He only joined the Portuguese giants from Belgian club Gent a year ago and made just thirteen appearances in all competitions, scoring twice.

Huddersfield manager David Wagner is pleased with the addition of the twenty-eight year old to his squad.

“He scores goals and is a real worker too, so he will fit the ‘Terriers Identity’ very well.” he said.

“I am very happy that we have made Laurent our first signing of this summer window.” he added.

 

Saints appoint Pellegrino

0

Mauricio Pellegrino has been appointed the new manager at Southampton.

The former Argentina and Liverpool defender has replaced Frenchman Claude Puel, who was sacked after just one season in charge.

Pellegrino was unattached having left his position at Spanish club Alaves last month after their cup final defeat against Barcelona.

And the forty-five year old is please to be returning to the Premier League to continue his managerial career.

“My philosophy and the culture of the club will work well.” he said.

“I want to win matches, be successful and develop a team spirit where everyone gives 100% and supports each other.

“I am excited and passionate about what the future holds.” he finished.

His first task could well be trying to persuade Virgil Van Dijk not to hand in a transfer request.

 

Juventus cancel Alves contract

0

Juventus have confirmed that defender Dani Alves has been released from his contract.

The Brazilian had a year left on his deal with the Serie A champions, but a mutual termination has been agreed.

Manchester City have been strongly linked with a move for the thirty-four year old this Summer.

And Juventus chief executive Beppe Marotta has now revealed that the Champions League finalists have allowed Alves to move on after he “expressed a desire to try a new experience”.

 

Alves only joined the Italian club a year ago, but he now looks set to finally try his hand at Premier League football in the veteran years of his career.

Palace close to appointing De Boer

0

Crystal Palace are closing in on the appointment of Frank de Boer as their new manager.

The Dutchman is reported to be in advanced negotiations with the Premier League club as they look to fill the vacant position.

The forty-seven year old is said to be the outstanding choice of the Palace board and it is claimed that only a few minor details are left to be resolved.

 

De Boer has been strongly linked with switches to Liverpool and Southampton in the past, but it now looks like the Eagles will be the club that finally bring him to England.

He has previously spent six years in charge at Ajax before a short spell in Italy with Inter Milan last season.