Sunday, Jul 23rd 2017

0

Middlesbrough have appointed former Leeds United boss Garry Monk as their new manager.

Monk emerged as the favoured candidate following interviews with several other applicants following his exit from Elland Road last month.

The former Swansea City boss had failed to agree terms with new Leeds owner Andrea Radrizzani following the expiration of his one year deal.

 

Boro were relegated back down to the Championship after just one year in the Premier League last season.

Caretaker manager Steve Agnew, who took over when Spaniard Aitor Karanka was sacked in March, is set to remain in a coaching capacity.

 

Ex-Southampton striker James Beattie is likely to also become part of the backroom staff at Boro following Monk’s appointment.

0

Chelsea striker Diego Costa has revealed that manager Antonio Conte has told him he is not part of his plans for next season.

The Spain international, who was born in Brazil, has claimed that the Italian does not want him at Stamford Bridge because he does “not follow at Chelsea”.

“I’m a Chelsea player, but they do not want me there.” he said.

“Antonio Conte has told me by message that I do not follow at Chelsea and that’s it.

“Conte said he did not count on me for next season.”

“My relationship with the coach has been bad this season.

“It’s a shame, I’ve already forwarded the message to Chelsea people to decide.

“You have to find a team.”

 

The former Atletico Madrid forward has revealed that he is still fond of the Spanish club, but would struggle to sit out five months because of their player registration ban.

“Being five months without playing? I do not know, it’s complicated, but people know that I love Atletico a lot and that I love to live in Madrid.” he said.

“It would be nice to go back, but it’s difficult to be four or five months without playing.

“It’s a World Cup year and there are many things to think about. I need to play, just that.” he finished.

0

Leicester City have handed caretaker manager Craig Shakespeare a three-year deal.

The Englishman was appointed on a temporary basis until the end of the season back in February after the sacking of Claudio Ranieri, who won the title in 2015/16.

Shakespeare is pleased to have been given the opportunity to carry on in the role following a successful battle against relegation during his initial three month spell.

“This is a really exciting opportunity for me to continue along this new path in my career.” he said.

“Our preparations for pre-season and the new Premier League campaign have been ongoing for some time.

“We can now move on with certainty and ensure we are well equipped to compete at the levels now expected of a club like Leicester City.”

 

Foxes vice-chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha was also pleased with the appointment and feels that Sheakespeare has the qualities to succeed in the job.

“Craig has shown all the qualities in leadership, motivation and talent management that are required to be successful in this role.

“Those qualities, aligned with his first-class coaching acumen, his knowledge of Leicester City and its philosophy, and the respect he has earned at every level of the club make him the ideal choice to help take us forward.” he finished.

0

Manchester City attacker Nolito has claimed his “daughter’s face has changed colour” since he moved to England last year.

The Spain international moved to The Etihad from La Liga club Celta Vigo in the Summer of 2016 for a fee in the region of £14m.

He has struggled to make an impact during his first season in the Premier League and has now stated his desire to leave.

“I’ve learnt little English. It’s hard. Just ‘tomorrow’, ‘good morning’, ‘good afternoon’ and a little more.” he told radio station El Transistor.

“My daughter’s face has changed colour – it looks like she’s been living in a cave.”

“I am under the contract, so the club will decide, but I want to leave.” he finished.

The thirty-year old hasn’t scored a goal for City since Boxing Day and only notched six in thirty appearances in all competitions.

It looks like a transfer to a warmer country is in the pipeline for him.

0

Sunderland striker Jermain Defoe has confirmed that he will be joining Bournemouth after completing a medical.

The thirty-four year old is currently on international duty with England, but he took time away from talking about that to confirm the move.

When asked during an interview regarding his future and whether a return to the club he spent time on loan with as a teenager was happening, he replied: “Well, yeah.”

“It’s out there, a lot of people obviously knew.

“I did a medical and said when this is finished and I’ve had a break

“Come July everyone will know anyway.” he finished.

Defoe has a release clause in his contract with Sunderland that allows him to move on if they suffer relegation, which they have.